870 Choke Selection Process

Arizona Bushman

Since the inception of the Heavy Magnum Coyote shells from Hornady, I have been successful in dropping over a dozen predators. The list includes coyotes, foxes and even a couple of bobcats. During my run, I simply took the advice given on the box and utilized a modified choke from my 20 inch Remington 870.

Always looking for improvements in my program, I decided to gather up five of the most popular chokes for the classic Remington and put them to the test. The chokes that I have chosen for this segment include; The Improved Cylinder, Modified, Full, Turkey and the Carlson's "Dead Coyote".

The pattern testing was performed using "field conditions" to best simulate what I personally have experienced in my local environment. All shots were taken free-handed from the same seat that I would use to call from. I subsequently set up my shooting lane in a location where I have taken a coyote or two. Also note that I set up my target with a slight wind blowing into the face of my simulated coyote. Two shots were taken with the recommended Imp Cyl. and Mod chokes. I averaged the two numbers and provided the best picture. A single shot is taken using the other chokes with pictures also provided.

To begin the pattern procedure, I place the target out at an easy 75 feet/25 yards to verify that my point of impact matches my point of aim. Note that I am using a reflex type sight. Meaning that it is simply a matter of placing a red dot over the target and easing into the trigger.

Pictured: The target is at 75 feet. If you look a little above the target and to the right, you will notice a patch of prickly pear cactus. Just beyond that will be 125 feet and is where I place the target for the long range portion of testing. I may or may not have actually killed a coyote in that same vicinity in the last few weeks. (
wink.gif

Below is the results of the 75 foot test using the Improved Cylinder choke. As you can see, I am shooting pretty straight and I do not know of any coyotes that can take over 40 BB's to the vitals and live to tell about it. Notice the big hole where the Versatite wad also contributed to the casualty factor. From my experience, this combination is not very fur friendly under 25 yards.

Pictured, is the same choke combination at a distance of 125 feet. The total average at this range was 13 hits into the vital area and a pretty decent spread across the entire coyote. I would definitely trust this set up to quickly put down a charging predator within 125 feet. Notice that the pattern actually shifted towards the tail of the coyote. If you remember, I had set up with a pretty good breeze from right to left and believe that the pattern was pushed slightly by the wind.

For the next portion of this, I decide to go from one end of the constriction spectrum to the other and secure the "Dead Coyote" choke into my barrel. As you can see, the results are quite a bit different than that of the Improved Cylinder. The ultra tight combination produced less hits to the vital area and I actually found the wad a few yards beyond the target and the little flight control wings had not been deployed. This combination averaged 9 hits, which probably would have required a follow-up shot on a flesh and bone coyote.

Not wanting to use my choke wrench just yet, I un-screwed the "Dead Coyote" and swapped it out with a Remington HD Turkey Choke. I had a Turkey sandwich and walked around the area looking for any wildlife sign. After my lunch break and well rested, I put some more lead to paper and actually ended up with the exact same results between the two tight chokes. 9 hits @ 125 feet. Once again the wad failed to deploy the flight control wings and was found beyond the target.

Next up was the Full Choke........and the results stayed the same. 9 hits at 125 feet, probably would have required a follow up shot to make a kill.

I left my proven choke for last. As I stated before; I have taken over a dozen predators using the Modified choke with this load and was already aware of the limitations to it's performance. On paper I averaged 18 hits at range and found a fully deployed Versatite wad about half way to the target.

For the last test, I decided to simulate "Coyote Fever". The target was brought back to the original 25 yards. I cracked open a fresh Red Bull, drank the contents and then went for a quick jog and performed about 50 push-ups. I immediately sat down, loaded the magazine tube, released the safety and took a snap shot at the target to fully simulate the emotions of when a coyote catches you off guard. I shot a little high, but as you can see the pattern would have folded any impeding predator. Also take note of the wad, once again penetrating the cardboard at close range.

In conclusion, I had a lot of fun putting this together. By no means are my training procedures scientific or for everybody in every situation. I get a lot of Private Messages from guys all over the country and try my best to help people out on a one on one basis. So hopefully this piece can assist guys with limited resources and those who shy away from the expense of shooting six dollar shells. By no means is the contained information meant to start a "My shotgun does this" grudge match but simply a look into a field-proven way to set up a shotgun for predator hunting in Central Arizona.

Thanks for reading and best of luck in 2014.

Very intersting to see your results. They indicate the same findings I have had with my 870 as well.

I found that my Nova acts just as your 870 does when I am shooting black cloud steel for waterfowl. Less constriction for these performance wads yields the tightest patterns as it should.

However, I found the oppostie to be true with my Nova when used with lead predator rounds from Hornady. #4 buck, BB, and even personal defense OO Buck all yield the best patterns for me when using a full choke in the Benelli.

Still goes to show, that every gun is different and you need to pattern your shotgun just as you try different loads in a rifle and sight in to the loads you choose.

Thanks for the info Bushman. I got in a couple boxes of the Hornady a few weeks ago.I also bought a Carlson's extended Sporting Clays improved modified choke about the same time.

Now that deer season is out I can do some testing. You have given me a good place to start. Thanks.

Great post Arizona. Thank you. I'm waiting on more shells (any day) and will also perform a pattern test on a shotgun came in today.

I have some DC 4 buck, 3" 1 1/2 oz

on the way is; Federal Classic 4 buck 3" and some Rem nitro mag 3" 1 7/8 #2

Also have various OO buck to try if this old mans shoulder holds out. Least it's gas op.

Thanks Bushman, your 20" shoots better than my 30". I am shooting a little further than you, my tests have been at 50 yds (150 ft). 3-4 BBs is the best I can do in the "vitals" paper plate. I can shoot Rem #4 buck and get 6-8 buckshot in the same plate consistently at 50 yds. The Rem nitro mag 3" 1 7/8 #2 do pretty well too. My gun just don't like BBs for some reason.

Good Info. I've found my xtra full turkey and DC chokes to pattern larger shot better. Never tried the Hornady shotshells however.

Nice post I am going to order me a improved cylinder and modified rem choke for my 870.
I am running a full rem choke and 3in 4Buck in a rem 870 18 in barrel but best I can get at 40yrds is 9 or 10 pellets 10 in circle and at 50yrds it falls apart.
Look forward to watching this post Thanks for your work!
Rick

Nice post I am going to order me a improved cylinder and modified rem choke for my 870.
I am running a full rem choke and 3in 4Buck in a rem 870 18 in barrel but best I can get at 40yrds is 9 or 10 pellets 10 in circle and at 50yrds it falls apart.
Look forward to watching this post Thanks for your work!
Rick

Just a guess. You did very well in science classes and pretty bad in art. Same here.

The proof is in the pics. Results are not what I would have guessed. Very well done and helpful.

Now the 80 yd test results?

Sorry I couldn't help it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I spent quite a bit of money trying to find a load choke combo in my 870 and nothing really pleased me a lot. I really wanted to shoot 4 buck for some reason unknown to me and was set on finding a choke to pattern it. I found an open patternmaster in cabelas bargain bin for more than half off and it patterns federal classic 4 buck like a champ.

Originally Posted By: Mr Potato HeadJust a guess. You did very well in science classes and pretty bad in art. Same here.

The proof is in the pics. Results are not what I would have guessed. Very well done and helpful.

Now the 80 yd test results?

Sorry I couldn't help it.

Thanks!

I did well in Blondes, Brunettes and the occasional Redhead. School was never my thing, hunting and womanizing was about it for me through college also.

As for the 80 yard test, I am pretty good at "Desert Geometry" and Physics. I would never attempt an 80 yard shot on a coyote with a shotgun, regardless of how many of those blondes were on my mind.

I think that Bushman's hand drawn coyote is broadside and looking the other direction. I'm not sure that's even possible as I have never seen one do that. All mine are looking my way and apparently don't like my dancing. Seems I don't have to move much at all and then they say "I'll show you how to move" LOL.

Good observation, Weekender. As my art work is that of a coyote facing broadside. Yes it is pretty rare for a coyote to come to the call in such a fashion. Perhaps I was trying to distance myself from the "shoot em' in the face crowd" and was making a feeble attempt to not "shoot it in the face" LOL!

Or I just suck at drawing...........

Either way, I have a shipment of Hornady #4 Buck on the way and will make a better attempt to step up the production value on my next segment.

Stay Tuned.

The modified choke is a factory Remington Choke. If you look back at my picture of chokes, you can tell the Remington from the Carlson because the Rem Choke has less threads cut into it. With the firearm safely dis-assembled and looking down the barrel, the Factory chokes seat fully where as the aftermarket chokes will leave a slight gap between the choke and the barrel diameter. Sometimes I wonder if the slight gap disrupts the shot.

I have patterned at least 15 different loads through this shotgun and the factory modified has always produced the best results compared to the aftermarket chokes.

Originally Posted By: Arizona BushmanThe modified choke is a factory Remington Choke. If you look back at my picture of chokes, you can tell the Remington from the Carlson because the Rem Choke has less threads cut into it. With the firearm safely dis-assembled and looking down the barrel, the Factory chokes seat fully where as the aftermarket chokes will leave a slight gap between the choke and the barrel diameter. Sometimes I wonder if the slight gap disrupts the shot.

I have patterned at least 15 different loads through this shotgun and the factory modified has always produced the best results compared to the aftermarket chokes.

Bushman is VERY thorough and methodical in his testing and that is something that I appreciate. I know that when I ask his opinion he has researched the topic when he gives me his answer. This was a great "un-scientific" test, and I sure find it useful. More so than many "scientific" tests. Sometimes you just got to get out and give it a try to find out if it works.

Thanks Bushman!

That load/choke combo looks great.I picked up a box the other day but the well below zero temps haven't let up yet.I want to try them in my 835 ASAP.i also have an 870 but only the smooth slug barrel.I'm debating between having it threaded for Rem chokes or just buying another barrel.

Nice post. So far everything I have patterned from birdshot to buckshot has always gotten tighter with tighter chokes. extra full has always been best for BB and buck.

Back